The Baobab belongs to the family Bombacaceae. It grows wild in dry savanna of West Africa. The tree is an economic tree as all the parts very useful.
The leaves are palmate, dark green and glossy. The fruits are oblong shaped with white grey fruits that taste sweet / sour with several seeds.
U S E S
The baobabs have many uses both as food and native medicine. The active principle is Adansonin and its nature is alkaloid.
1. Dried leaf powder is used as a preventive for bladder and kidney trouble.
2. as a wild vegetable for soup.
3. The leaves yield Tannin
4. The leaves decoction is used to treat earache including Otitis (Inflammation)
5. Leaf or bark infusion is also used for treating fever.
6. Powdered / Pounded or mashed leafs is used for treating sores and swelling from Guinea worm.
7. Coagulants help to change the fluid robber to a more or less solid state.
8. Concoctions from the leafs, bark, roots and fruits is used for treating colic, ashma, and intestinal infections.
F R U I T S
The fruits white / pink powder or pulp contains high volume of vitamin C and Tartaric Acid; it is used for the following:
1. As a sweet beverage
2. For food seasoning
3. A decoction of fruit fibre is used for treating menstrual troubles.
S E E D
1. Oil from the seed is very rich in protein and is used as food and for the production of various natural cosmetic products (body cream, hair lotions, moisturizers etc.)
2. Decoction of roasted seed is used for treating diarrhoea / dysentery.